"Brandon" is the boy featured on this page. He is one of the many children of Egoli that are undernourished and in need of hope. Just getting a random unposed photo brought a genuine smile to Brandon's face that is unforgettable despite his dire circumstances.
This fund supports the people in Brandon's community which is an informal squatters' settlement outside Cape Town South Africa known as Egoli. Organizations including Visions Made Viable, International Sports Federation, the local Tekiah Foundation, and others are working collaboratively to provide a Community Center known as Mountain View Dream Centre.
The funds raised here are being used to lease the land where the Community Center has been built out of shipping containers until we have enough funds to purchase the land. Other partner organizations are supporting building a community center and mini-health clinic on the new property.
The phases of this project are:
• Phase #1 (2018-2019): $8,000 - Getting started, providing food supplies, and providing help to families in need after a housing fire in the area.
• Phase #2 (2019-2021): $17,000 - Leasing the land for 2-3 years until we have sufficient funds to purchase. (Other organizations paid for the boundary fence, buildings, and food supplies).
• Phase #3 (2021): $100,000 - Purchase the land. We believe we will have enough funds by Nov 2021 and allow us to move into the next phase in 2022.
• Phase #4 (2022): $100,000 - Astroturf multi sport fenced in facility, land and building improvements, and food supplies for the poor in Egoli.
Goal: $225,000 USD
Phase #5 (2022-2023): A stretch goal on our radar is to purchase an adjacent property to the Centre about 4x the current plot size that has a house and bunk house with showers. This would provide a nice office and home for the caretakers and additional land for community use.
More information about the overall project can be found at https://www.egolitownshipproject.com/ Also follow on Instagram @mountainviewdreamcentre for updates on the building, food distribution, and the health clinic.
A special thanks to Cisco who is positively impacting our communities and people in poverty. South Africa plays an important role in helping Cisco achieve a goal of positively impacting one billion lives by 2025. Anyone can donate here, and Cisco employees can get a matching donation by going to https://cisco.brightfunds.org/funds/community-center-in-egoli
Cisco employees can get more information from Dave Dibert, a Cisco employee who served at the site in July 2018 when he met the people and distributed food and clothing at Egoli, and then visited again in May 2021 when he served and met with the landowner to make plans for the purchase of the land.
Find the site location and photos on Google Maps:
• Egoli: https://goo.gl/maps/p3Wvvj815m3uBSGs6
• Mountain View Dream Centre: https://goo.gl/maps/hS1wZ8dcdLnvrFhh9
May 2021 drone video of the Mountain View Dream Centre and surrounding Egoli area: https://youtu.be/kp67AyeCoCY